1. Sambong (Blumea balsamifera)- English name: Blumea camphora. A diuretic that helps in the excretion of urinary stones. It can also be used as an edema.
2. Akapulko (Cassia alata) - also known as "bayabas-bayabasan" and "ringworm bush" in English, this herbal medicine is used to treat ringworms and skin fungal infections.
3. Niyog-niyogan (Quisqualis indica L.) - is a vine known as "Chinese honey suckle". It is effective in the elimination of intestinal worms, particularly the Ascaris and Trichina. Only the dried matured seeds are medicinal -crack and ingest the dried seeds two hours after eating (5 to 7 seeds for children & 8 to 10 seeds for adults). If one dose does not eliminate the worms, wait a week before repeating the dose.
4. Tsaang Gubat (Ehretia microphylla Lam.) - Prepared like tea, this herbal medicine is effective in treating intestinal motility and also used as a mouth wash since the leaves of this shrub has high fluoride content.5.Ampalaya (Momordica charantia) - known as "bitter gourd" or "bitter melon" in English, it most
known as a treatment of diabetes (diabetes mellitus), for the non-insulin dependent patients.
6. Lagundi (Vitex negundo) - known in English as the "5-leaved chaste tree". It's main use is for
the relief of coughs and asthma.
7.Ulasimang Bato (Peperomia pellucida) - also known as "pansit-pansitan" it is effective in
fighting arthritis and gout. The leaves can be eaten fresh (about a cupful) as salad or like tea.
For the decoction, boil a cup of clean chopped leaves in 2 cups of water. Boil for 15 to 20 minutes.
Strain, let cool and drink a cup after meals (3 times day).
8. Bayabas (Psidium guajava) - "guava" in English. It is primarily used as an antiseptic, to
disinfect wounds. Also, it can be used as a mouth wash to treat tooth decay and gum infection.
9. Bawang (Allium sativum) - popularly known as "garlic", it mainly reduces cholesterol in the
blood and hence, helps control blood pressure.
10. Yerba Buena (Clinopodium douglasii) - commonly known as Peppermint, this vine is used as
an analgesic to relive body aches and pain. It can be taken internally as a decoction or externally by pounding the leaves and applied directly on the afflicted area.
courtesy of Department of health.